Human lifespan continues to increase worldwide, and so does the number of people seeking solutions for age-related disorders.
NMN or Nicotinamide mononucleotide is one of the main predecesors of NAD+ (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) — an essential enzyme for different critical cell functions including cell growth and survival, DNA repair and metabolism. Impressive results in cell and animal studies and clinical trials are backing a multimillion-dollar market for NMN supplements .
Where do you get NMN from?
NMN has been shown to improve energy metabolism and physical activity, enhance insulin sensitivity and eye function, subdue age-related weight gain, improve mitochondrial metabolism and contain age-linked changes in gene expression .
Regrettably, although NMN is naturally in foods like avocados, broccoli, cabbage and cucumbers, it is impossible to obtain enough via your daily diet to make a substantial difference.
This is where NMN supplements come in – and this market is increasing at a rapid pace. The global NMN market was estimated at $253 million in 2020. It is projected to reach around $386 million by the end of 2027 .
However, not all NMN supplements are created equal. NMN is not easy to manufacture, which means these supplements can be costly. This has led to a rise in the number of low-quality, cheap supplements. They try to make all the same claims as the market leaders without being able to deliver.
Longevity.Technology recommends Elevant: a clinically-tested, high purity NMN supplement, that works directly within your cells to boost energy. Boom! Click here to learn more.
Does your body need NMN supplement?
NMN supplements’ safety are proven in numerous FDA-approved clinical trials . Because of that, supplementing NMN may be an effectual nutraceutical anti-aging intervention with advantageous effects on a wide array of physiological functions. NMN has also been found to build on insulin activity and production, which could aid in accelerating metabolism and making the body more glucose tolerant.
What are the effects of NMN supplements?
Here are some of the beneficial affects you can get from NMN supplements:
- Amplifies muscle endurance: NMN supplements are also being monitored to improve general fitness and conditioning levels. NAD+ metabolises fatty acids and glucose, which muscles utilise to support their structure and remain healthy.
- Repairs DNA: NMN creates NAD+, which can trigger sirtuins – which play an important role in maintaining DNA integrity. A study found that giving activated sirtuins could stabilise telomeres, reduce DNA damage and contribute to the reduction of liver disease .
- Improves eye function: lower levels of NAD+ have been shown to contribute to neurodegeneration in the eye and eyesight loss. By replenishing NAD+, it should be achievable to decrease this decline and improve vision .
- Improves mitochondria function: We cannot live without mitochondria – and it cannot live without NAD+. These cell powerhouses are vital for metabolism and converting molecules from the food we eat into energy.
- Protects against diabetes: low insulin sensitivity levels are a precursor to type 2 diabetes. Here, the body becomes less reactive to insulin levels in the bloodstream, which can raise the risks of gaining weight and, ultimately diabetes.
- Better brain function: scientists discovered that dispensing the NMN molecule in mice helps blood vessel dilation, which improves brain blood flow to help it function more effectively.
- Fights obesity: NMN has also been linked to lower levels of obesity. One study found that a three-week NMN treatment in mice resulted in improved liver and plasma triglyceride levels, reduced fat mass and better glucose tolerance .
- Heart function: the human heart continues at a steady pace throughout your life and consumes a massive amount of energy for which it depends on NMN. A study uncovered that treating older mice with NMN and SS-31 could improve heart function .
Can NMN supplements make you feel younger?
Numerous people are now consistently taking health supplements and yes, one of the most popular ones include NMN. The market for longevity supplements is indeed growing.
These products offer the premise of combatting diseases, life extension and making one feel younger – longer. Nonetheless, marketing groups overlook making all types of declarations. To determine whether these are acceptable, we need to understand NMN and how it functions.
NMN is a fountain of youth for the mice it was experimented on – though what about for humans? NMN supplements may improve adult human metabolism, causing it more like that of a person ten or even twenty years younger .
As research teams continue to study NMN in humans, it is noted that lipid profiles improve dramatically, as well as energy and that his blood markers. Numerous mouse models of disease and aging have seen NMN demonstrating a vast array of impressive results: benefitting conditions ranging from diabetes to Alzheimer’s disease to ischemia.
Researchers have to run additional analyses of NMN administration in humans to determine whether side effects come from consuming it. They could observe doses above 500 mg to uncover whether they induce side effects. Studies could also look into whether long-term NMN consumption has any side effects.